Wednesday, June 18, 2008

southern cross


the southern cross constellation, only seen in the southern hemisphere

my new southern cross tattoo!

we had seven friends come to watch, here is Adam, my roomie Will, and Tim with the video camera

admiring my tattoo in the mirror

Katelyn got a tattoo as well, she designed and drew it herself




So I know I didnt give you guys any warning, but I have been thinking about getting a New Zealand tattoo for awhile now.  
 
The first trip I went on in New Zealand was to Waiheke island off the coast of Auckland.  When the stars came out that night it was incredible, I felt so small looking up at all the stars.  Then I remembered reading that the southern cross was one of the main constellations here (it is also in the NZ flag).  So a kiwi that was hanging out with us showed it to me in the sky.  There are actually three crosses in the sky, but two are false.  The way you can tell the real one is that their are two indicator stars which point to the cross.  For some reason the image of the southern cross has really stood out in my mind.  To me it represents my time spent here as well as my new found love for traveling.  Also, I feel comfort when I look up in the sky, I don't know if it is because of everything that has happened over the past few years, but when I look up in the sky I have that feeling that there is something out there, and I am small in comparison with it.  Not small as in insignificant, but small as in a part of the vast universe, connected to everything all at once.  I get to take a piece of New Zealand home with me and whenever I look at it it will remind me of all the friends and life experiences I have gained in this amazing country.
 
Anyways, I drew the tattoo myself and I am really happy with the simple design I came up with.  It looks a lot better in person then in the picture , and in the photo it is swelled up a bit because I had just gotten it done.  It will blend ito my skin more as time goes on.  Anyways, I can't wait to show it off when I get home:)  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jillian! You're following the tradition of sailers past...getting a tatoo in the south sea islands.
Can't wait to see you.
love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, I don't know if you still get confirmations saying someone's posted on your blog or not, but itis definately a nice one. Unfortunately I never got to see it before today. Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Tyler