Saturday, June 7, 2008

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

Welcome to hobbiton!

our little cottage

hobbiton at last!

our view of the "party tree" from inside Bag End





So my final trip in New Zealand was to Matamata where the Shire is located.  We took a bus and stayed in a little cottage in a locally owned Holiday park.  It was a very nice place to stay, it even had hot mineral pools we could lounge around in.  

Hobbiton is located on a working sheep farm about 6 km out of town.  It was so exciting to see the set and learn all about the process of making and using it.  Apparently it is the largest green set in history.  Basically it was almost like a real little village.  Unfortunately when we got there it was raining and it was a bit cloudy.  O well, I still enjoyed my visit anyways (even if I didnt manage to escape the group and live in a hobbit hole:).  

After the tour we found a newspaper article talking about how much business and tourists having the set in this little town has brought.  It also said that the town is excited to have New line Cinemas back in 2010 to film the upcoming hobbit movies.  Jenny and I have decided we want to come back for the filming and try to be hobbit extras.  They told us the requirements are that you have to be under 5'4'' (check), and have a roundish jolly face (check).  I even have curly hobbit hair!! I think we can do it, we'll just have to keep our eyes and ears open because filming is very secretive.

Also, I definitely wanna live in a hobbit hole some day!
 haha check this out : my future home?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna be a hobbit. Too bad i'm too tall. I'd love to come back with you when you go. It looks sooooo cool out there. I'm thinking of you! School's out in 3 days!

Jillian said...

haha u can be an orc!! thinking of u too! ill be home soon!

Anonymous said...

Sweet octopus! Sweet Hobbit village! I think if you you really want to live in an underground house you should start designing it. Very energy efficient...
faja