Thursday, February 28, 2008

roomies are here

So I’m still having trouble getting my papers set up, but since every exchange student is, Im not too worried about it, and I have a meeting with the person who is supposed to register me. I should be all set up within a few days time. I even sent in an application to get my internet. Its going to be 25 dollars a month. o well, its something I need. It seems like you have to pay for everything here!
This weekend was really fun. The lantern festival ended up not being cancelled so we all went to see the park lit up by chinese lanterns. There were some really cool ones shaped like various animals, dragons and that sort of thing. They also had some fireworks. Sunday we went to the beach because it was the first really beautiful day in awhile. I lounged on the beach (making sure to put on lots of sunscreen . . . apparently there is a huge hole in the ozone right above New Zealand) and I got some fish and chips (which new zealand is apparently famous for). They were definitely the best fish and chips I have ever had. Good and greasy and wrapped up in newspaper. As the tide started to go out you could go really far out in the water and it was only up to your waist. We found live sand dollars out in the water and I collected a lot of really neat shells on the beach.
Also, our new roomates moved in. In new zealand the living arrangements are coed. I already had one roomate named Kaitlyn who I met through our australearn orientation. She is from New York and is really nice and fun. Our new roomates are 2 kiwi boys named James and Will. They are first years so they are 18 and they are from a town about 2 hours from Wellington. They have both been best friends ever since they were 9 years old. They are really nice and super funny. Its like living with Ron and Harry Potter (Kaitlyn and I decided lol). You guys would really like them. I think its really lucky that we got New Zealand roomates because they have really helped us learn more about New Zealand. Not to mention they brought marmite with them which is pretty funny. Also, they have all the episodes of Flight of the Concords on their computer and I have decided that it is my new favorite show lol. You should all watch it, it’s about a band from New Zealand living in New York. It has that kind of Office dry humor and they sing a few songs each episode which are hilarious. You guys would really love it!

Well its another really nice day so I’m going to go read outside in the couryard. Love you!

No comments: