Thursday, February 21, 2008

i am a zorbonaut

Today was amazing! To start off the day our group took a trip to The Agrodome. What is an agrodome? It’s a pretty much a farm animal arena, and when I say farm animal I mean sheep. They showed us all of the diifferent kinds of sheep they have in NZ and what they were used for (some for high end wool, some for course wool, some for dinner . . .) Anyways, all the sheep were huge!!! They also had a sheering demonstration which was pretty neat. And I wish Emma had been there because they also brought out a few sheep dogs who herded some animals on stage and did fun tricks like jumping from the back of one sheep to the other. It was really fun!

After that we had lunch, and prepared for our next course of action . . . to become zorbonauts. For anyone who doesn’t know what zorbing is, its basically being like a giant hampster in a hampster ball and getting rolled down a hill. It was sooooo much fun and no I did not throw up. You can do two types of zorbing, wet or dry. With dry zorbing they strap you in Divinci style and you roll with the ball. With wet zorbing they have a ball within a ball, and the insisde ball has a small amount of water. The zorbers ride in the inside ball and slide around while the ball rolls down the hill. I did wet zorbing with two other people inside the ball with me (my roomate Melissa and a girl we met named Megan). It was soo much fun, but it was short ride. This boy named Tim who is also going to AUT filmed us going down the hill in our zorb, so hopefully I will be able to post that soon.

After zorbing the fun was not over. We got to go see a Maori village renactment and eat a traditional hangi dinner. The Maori culture I very respected here and they really try to keep their traditions and history alive. So, a hangi dinner is where they heat up river stones over a fire and bury the hot stones along with the food underground to be steamed and cooked. It was incredibly delicious!! They had all the lamb I could eat and mussels, and potatoes, and carrots . . . it was the best! And they don’t have mint jelly in NZ, they have mint sauce which is pretty similar and tastes great with the lamb. We also got to see some traditional Maori dance and song which is quite fierce. Tim (who films everything) also filmed one of their performances, so I will hopefully post that as well.
Overall it was a pretty jam packed day. Well, I gotta go because tomorrow I get to check off another goal on my life list . . .

2 comments:

ravenna said...

you have had a busy time! the pictures look great, and i'm impressed you ALREADY saw the gloworms--you are driven.

but question, is ollie in nz with you??

brittany said...

Zorbing sounds like so much fun! I wonder if dry zorbing would make you throw up? you should try it sometime :P Also that dinner sounds incredible and I'm so hungry right now. They have a lot of lamb here too...it's strange, lamb is like beef here. They have it everywhere and it's super cheap. I know you're lovin it there! Take care girlie <3