Thursday, February 21, 2008

auckland


So now I have arrived at my flat in Auckland. It is not the most beautiful city I have ever seen, but I have not been to the harbor yet. Our Apartment building stands 14 stories tall and I am on the 6th floor. Our flat is amazing!!! There are four individual rooms two bathrooms and showers, a kitchen and a living room ( all connected). Our living room is on the corner of the building so it is nothing but windows! Its an amazing view of the city! My room is about the size of my room at UMBC, but the storage is much better (also I guess I have way less stuff). Our orientation is not till Thursday so we have a night and a day to get settled. We went out to find a Warehouse ( pretty much the equivalent of Wal Mart) top get some basic supplies. I was so good at finding deals everyone wanted me to help them shop lol. I have found that when I put my mind to it, I am pretty good at budgetting myself and being thrifty.
There is so much asian culture here. The Auckland (and NZ in general) has a high asian population and you can definitely tell by what produvts are sold in grocery stores and even in the style of the internet cafes. Its kind of like the way there is so much Mexican culture now in the US. There is asian candy everywhere and posters and games and music. Wesley you would looooove it. And Alex you would love it because there is sushi everywhere! I think I am really going to like it hereJ

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill - we miss ya! Glad you're having a totally great time. Your flat looks really cool - cha cha. We are suppose to get snow and ice here tonight and tomorrow - looks like no school. Love ya! Aunt Wendy

Anonymous said...

That would be chur chur not cha cha - I'll pick up the lingo before you get back!

brittany said...

your apartment is beautiful! mine is nothing like that...I live in the city and it's way less developed than aukland. I hope everythings good and you're adjusting to life there alright! tell me about your roommates and new friends there

Anonymous said...

JIll!!! Ah i just read your blog and i am so excited to hear about all the things you are doing. I came home this weekend and emma and i are sitting in front of the computer! Everyone says hi and we miss you! I wish i was there to adventure around with you! I've actually started thinking about where i want to go and new zealand is looking pretty tasty! hehe i love you and miss you big sis!
Love, hollin

Anonymous said...

JoAnn and I stopped by the shop today to deliver Lee's Birthday present. He was 41 today. I'm sure you know about the new arrival, Tobin. We are all excited for Caleb and Mathilde. He's a lucky guy to have such great parents. Must be wonderful to be in the warm weather. PopPop

Anonymous said...

We saw you Dad today and he showed us how to provide comments. I know it's simple, but when you don't know how, Oh Well. Stopped by the shop today and delivered Lee's birthday present, he's 41 today. Caleb & Mathilde's son was born yesterday. Name's Tobin. I'm sure you got pictures. Must be great to be in warm weather.
PopPop