Saturday, February 23, 2008




So far I really like Auckland. I get to eat lots of sushi and I am loving making food in my flat. What we’ve been doing a lot is everyone will bring over an ingredient and a bunch of us will make dinner together. A few days ago we ate lamb with rice and veggies and it was soooooooo good. Lamb here is really cheap, its like chicken. There is also a lot of fun events going on here. This weekend there was a lantern festival and a bunch of us went to the beach. Unfortunatley the weather as of late has not been that nice, and I didn’t get to go to the lantern festival, but I got a glimpse of the decorations in Albert Park. This park is amazing, it has tons of these huge trees with sprawling roots and branches that are impossible not to climb. They are probably the best climbing trees I have ever seen in my life.
I think I pretty much have my papers (classes) worked out. I am taking an independent study and since it is worth sixty points I wont be taking any other papers. Its really different tho, I get my own studio space and I am expected to be working in there monday-thursday and sometimes we have workshops. We are supposed to come up with our projects and the workshops are supposed to enhance our ideas. Dad, you would be really excited, I get to work with a letter press for one of my workshops. And Aunt Wendy squared, you would be super excited because I also get to work with a knitting machine! This semester should be really neat, and Im excited to see what I come up with. I am a little nervous because it is so different then what I am used to, but I think once I get started I will really like it.
O I almost forgot! There is an amazing market where people sell artwork, incredible handmade clothes and all sorts of other things every Friday and Saturday. Kim would be in heaven. Maybe I will have to go gift shopping there . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill it sounds so wonderful and exciting - post some of your projects as the year progresses. Does the school have looms for weaving too? If you come across some unsual yarn let me know - I might ask you to ship some back. We have a web cam installed when you are ready. Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear about the projects you are going to pursue. Post pictures!!!!!

love-faja

Anonymous said...

Hi sis! i miss you, and what they said-post your projects... maybe even your progress and you're working, i'd love to see it! I love you and really do miss you.

ravenna said...

hey there booger,

i'm glad you put up pictures, cuz i had no idea what you were talking about when you said you played frisbee on mushrooms.

i'm excited to see your clothing too. i've bought a couple pieces here--a fake leather jacket that makes me feel like a rockstar, boots and a sweater. but dude, i've decided and i'm currently buying my ticket--i'm going to spend a week in morocco in april!!! ahhh!!

miss you oodles! and why am i not invited to read your other blog??