Wednesday, March 19, 2008

art show









So my first art show was wednesday.  Everyone in each department (photography, painting, sculpture, and print) were required to do 2 weeks of drawing.  They used the term drawing pretty loosely and encouraged students to experiment and look at things in different ways.  I felt very inspired by the trees in Albert park, so that was my starting point.  I started drawing the trees from pictures I had taken, and then I moved onto drawing the negative space around the trees and then finally some blind contour drawings (where I could only look at what I was drawing, not at the paper and I could never lift my pen).  One day when I was walking I saw a weed growing at the side of the art building, I yanked it up and the roots and everything came out with it.  I gathered some more and decided to make prints with the weeds I found.  I brought some paper from home that when you lay objects on it and then put it in the sun it leaves an impression and kind of looks like a cyanotype.  I made a few of these prints and then I began to do blind contour drawings of the weeds as well.  I really loooooove blind contour.  Anyways, I played around with the linework I came up with during of all these processes, combined them and used some color.  I really like some of the abstract images I came up with because they still have the essence of what I started with, but they really became something quite different.  Im really glad I got this opportunity to experiment, I really had fun and I feel like I came up with something completely different then what I would have come up with back home.  I also think some of these drawings will translate well into prints.

The way the show is set up is everyone gets a bit of wall space and you have to select the work that you think should go up based on what goes best together, and what you think is your best and most evololved work.  The rest of the "supporting work" or "sources" goes on the floor in piles for the professors  to look through. 
Hope you enjoy it, the pictures aren't very high quality, but I tried:) Also if you click on the image it should enlarge so maybe you can see it better (or it may look worse because of the quality who knows lol)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How totally cool! Emma likes the bottom right "Sun print" of the weed the best. I love them all! I really like the idea of the source pieces on the floor - very sculptural- especially one of my favorites the bottle caps. What a great first show! Keep your photos coming. Love You! Aunt Wendy

Anonymous said...

Jill! Those prints and drawings look fantastic. I love all of your blog entries because it shows us how different it is over there. New zealand is now on my list of places to go in order:
1. Germany
2. New zealand
3. Russia

Keep the bloggin' coming. I love hearing from you.

See ya later!

-Miller

Anonymous said...

Jilly. These are awesome, i love to stare at them. It kinda makes em come to life. Love you! Im with miller, keep the pictures coming! oh and dad said i might be able to call you this weekend!
love ya sis!

Anonymous said...

I think it's so cool you used bottle caps, it's your first art show just like Pam! (only your stuff is better)

Anonymous said...

good work. keep posting yer latest pieces.
love ya-faja